Friday, May 22, 2009




Out of the office at 4:30 yesterday. I walked over to the studio and picked up a few tallboys. Got there, changed into shorts and flipflops, got to work on the tallboys and finished a postcard. (The postcards I'm working on now are from a pack of Little Nemo in Slumberland cards I've been carrying around since 1999 or so. (I know I sent a few from France and Italy in the fall of 1999 and a few more from Madrid in 2007.) I'm going to get through these and then maybe start on something a little more collaborative? I don't know. It's all kind of forming. Flailing blindly. But I think it's time I attemped to crack the seal--at least temporarily--on the cloistered studio practice.

Changed back into big boy clothes and headed into the city. I met up with Ana, Shaina, Alessandra, Nellie, Suraiya and Monsur (thank god I had another dude there to save me from the vag fest) to see The Dave Hill Explosion at UCB. Ira Glass was the guest. Fucking hilarious show. Then over to the Half King for a few beers and some fried food. We scattered around 1 am and I took the E home and it wasn't an awful commute. Shocking. No homeless guys in my car, either. Stink-free commuting!

7 comments:

Chris Rywalt said...

It occurred to me reading this I'd love to collaborate with you. It sounds like it'd be a blast. Except I haven't the vaguest idea of how it could ever happen. Brothers Hildebrandt: I'll do the backdrops and you can do the figures.

Yeah, right.

beebe said...

We could collaborate for sure. I'm thinking of something more along the lines of an exquisite corpse-type project. (Even though I generally can't stand that kind of thing--it's a parlor game, really.) You know, either sending out a small, partially-completed drawing or maybe a small, entirely-completed drawing but with room for the collaborator to do whatever they wanted to do. I'm interested in (if I ever figure out the specifics) getting the drawings to either artists whose work is antithetical to my own or to non-2D-visual artists--writers, scientists, filmmakers, etc. We'll see if I can ever get the specifics rolled out.

Chris Rywalt said...

I don't usually like exquisite corpse type things, either. They never really work. Even as a parlor game -- I mean, spin the bottle's more fun, right?

I'd still be willing to fool around with it, though. If you're up for it. Keep me in mind if you work anything out.

Chris Rywalt said...

Actually, with your odd characters you've been posting lately, you should send them to an animator. I can see someone cutting them out and having them walk around and interact with each other.

beebe said...

I tried to get something animate-y going with my friend Academy Award nominee Joseph Merideth (see the links to your right) but it kind of fizzled out. My friend Haroula is trying to get something going with some drawings I did for her album, blah blah blah. I'd love to do something animate-y but I have no interest in completing the animation myself. Too labor intensive.

Chris Rywalt said...

I've done one animation and it was more mathematical than fanciful. It took forever and wiped me out. I have no desire to animate anything any more. I can barely animate myself out of bed in the morning.

And, hey, one more thing we both have in common: We both know Academy Award nominees.

beebe said...

Please. Madonna doesn't count. She didn't win an Academy Award™. And sleeping with her hardly accounts a "knowing" her.