Tuesday, June 30, 2009


I rode over to the studio last night around 6:30 and knocked this little guy out. I was trying out a few delicate, wand-ish sumi ink brushes and a new bottle of Speedball ink. (I've always used Higgins over the years for no particular reason.) This drawing is a combination of solid black brushwork, dark ink washes and some hot dirty Micron action. Seems like a jumbled mess to me--about ten years ago, I had a graphic style that kind of worked. But I spent ten years trying to undo all of that. Anyway. I finished this drawing and went up to the roof with the camping chair for a nice if uneventful sunset sit.

Two movies yesterday. Over lunch, I finished watching part one of the Samurai Trilogy. Toshiro Mifune is edging out William Powell as my favorite actor. Part two is at home ready to go. I also managed to patch together Wes Craven's Swamp Thing over the evening. I'm not really sure if I loved this movie as a kid but I certainly watched it over and over. It's really terrible. Awful. Corny. However, you do get to see some Adrienne Barbeau side-nipple in one bathing scene so I guess that helped. (And she IS bathing in swampwater which, as you know, is the best, cleanest kind of water for bathing.)Link

7 comments:

Chris Rywalt said...

Higgins used to be the standard for the blackest of black ink. They changed the formula. I forget who said it, but a comic artist was quoted by Scott McCloud calling it "gray swill".

I bought a bottle of cheapish sumi ink which has worked very well for me. It doesn't absorb into the paper so much as lie on it, though.

I can't believe you just saw "Swamp Thing" again, after I just re-watched it a few weeks ago. I loved that when I was a kid. It's a great friggin' movie, but, yes, corny and bad. The lead performances are a lot of fun and the special effects entertainingly dreadful.

As for side nipple, I don't know what cut you saw of the movie, but the version I saw had an incredibly long, gratuitous Adrienne Barbeau topless scene in it. That's how you can tell it's an '80s movie: It's only PG but women bare their boobs on the least pretense. I mean, okay, I understand she'd been running through the swamp and mud getting shot at for an hour or so, and maybe a quick bath was in order, but still, the extended pouring-water-over-her-heaving-bosom?

That's directly followed, too, by a wholly unnecessary topless dancing scene intended to show how debauched and evil the bad guy really is, judging by, I guess, the victory parties he throws.

Speaking of the bad guy, Louis Jourdan makes the whole movie worthwhile. His performance goes beyond scenery chewing into some other dimension entirely.

Now you need to see 1980's "Flash Gordon".

beebe said...

The cheapo sumi inks I purchased over the years always seemed to dry with a kind of brittle, shiny quality. Not what I wanted. So far Speedball seems acceptable.

Dude, are you kidding me? I OWN the 1980 Flash Gordon on DVD.

I must've gotten some highly sensor version of the Swamp Thing because there was (sadly) nothing gratuitous in the topless scene. Side nip and that was all.

Chris Rywalt said...

Methinks there is a DVD-R in your future, then.

When I saw that scene I thought, jeezus, how gratuitous! But then I also thought, I understand Wes Craven here: If you've got Adrienne Barbeau in your movie, you might as well get her to strip.

Chris Rywalt said...

Apparently -- I spend way too much time on this stuff -- I saw the unrated European edit of "Swamp Thing" while you saw the U.S. issue which was rated PG.

I knew I didn't see all that nudity when I saw it in the '80s.

beebe said...

Don't fall and bend your Wookie there, nerd.

Chris Rywalt said...

You misspelled Wookiee on purpose, didn't you? To quote Admiral Ackbar, "It's a trap!"

J. Wesley Brown said...

This is sick.