Sunday, December 25, 2011

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and some smoke



Thursday was a decent day for this time of year--partly sunny, mid-to-upper 50s. Positively balmy. I felt this might be the last decent day of the year (if not the season) so I took a bike ride I've been eyeballing since I moved here in 2004. Now that I live in Williamsburg, the whole enterprise was a little easier--from here to Prospect Park, through the park to Ocean Parkway, Ocean Parkway down to Coney Island and then up and around Shore Parkway Greenway and back through Sunset Park to Prospect Park again and then home. So I did it. Good ride, much easier than I anticipated--I didn't have to cuss out a driver once and I didn't get disoriented at all.

The Shore Parkway Greenway runs along the western edge of Brooklyn and offers a great view of the Verrazno Bridge and Staten Island. I could see this enormous plume of smoking rising up from what looked to be S.I. but--as I found out eventually--I was rising from somewhere in Jersey. It turns out there was a 7 alarm warehouse fire in Elizabeth.

After the ride, I got some tacos and a few beers and went to the studio where I promptly fell asleep on the couch.

No comments: