Friday, March 23, 2012

Sketch: Portrait of Phacops Attaboise

Between the genealogy tree drawing (where he first appears) and this Uncles drawing--and without planning it in any way--this Phacops Attaboise guy has taken on some importance in Refractoria. As I record his actions dealing with these Uncles over a decade or so, I'm now discovering his desire to extinguish the Horned Rovers borders on the stripe of ruthless mania that led to these piles of buffalo skulls on the plains. The problem, of course, is that the Horned Rovers (Uncles excepted, of course) are essentially human (or human-ish, anyway) but yet Phacops harvests them as he would big game--slaughtering them in large numbers, sawing off their ivory racks with the blade tucked in his belt, flensing away flesh and fat from their bones. Jesus, he's a real prick. But he's a prick that's growing into his own character with what seems like zero intent on my end. I think this is the way it's supposed to go--this intent-less approach--and I'm excited to see what happens.

I'm appreciating more the limited amount of writing space I'm allowing myself on these last two drawings--I have to get the information across with a lean selection of words. In fact, the tiny stories and descriptions remind me of the format of the original 1st editions AD&D books (Monster Manual, Players Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide in particular)--descriptions of monsters, magic items, spells, artifacts--had to be concise but often hinted as much larger stories. And THAT was always the leaping off point when I was a kid--an off-handed reference to City of Brass, the Wind Dukes of Aaqa or the Plane of Molten Skies . . . I mean, forget it. My brain was off and running with that stuff. I'm basically recreating that sensation with this wee stories--a mention of a name or a place in one bit becomes the meat of the next drawing.

No comments: