Friday, June 29, 2012

City of Sociopaths 06.29.12

Finally, I think I solved the problem of what the buildings should look like for the City of Sociopaths. When I started the Chicago map last summer, I was looking at two sources--the late 18th c. Horwood map of London and the 1739 Turgot map of Paris. I loved the style of the Paris map--the detail on each of the buildings is enthralling--but I ended up emulating the simplicity (relative to Turgot's work) of the London map. I just didn't feel up to the challenge for working from such a complicated model.

Well, I guess I feel more confident now. The Chicago map--working a regular 8-ish hour day, 7 days a week--took roughly four months to finish. So this drawing is going to take forever. The     quarter is for scale. The full image gives you an idea of what lies ahead.

No comments: